Monday, October 26, 2009

Halloween Costume: Basic Robe

Want to make a cheap, useful Halloween costume?

Think of all the costumes you can use a simple robe for: Wizard/Witch, Vampire, grim-reaper, skeleton, pretty much any male fantasy character..... use your imagination! This is a great addition to any Halloween costume box.

I made this robe using this tutorial. It's SOOOO easy!

I used black polyester because it hangs well and doesn't wrinkle when stored in a Halloween box :) I also cut a straight line off the edge for the neck to get a 'V'. The tutorial has you cut it in an arc, for a 'u' neck....to do this I would use a piece of chalk tied to a thick string. Measure the chalk to the end of the string as the 'Neck size' described in the tutorial, and just hold the end of the sting down on the corner and draw an arc on the fabric with your chalk. That'll make sure you get it symmetrical.

I made this for my one year old, who will be doing the Harry Potter thing this year, gotta do it now while it's still got 'hype'. So I made the hems very large so that in a few years if he wants to be something that we could again use a black robe for, all I have to do is take the hem out and hem it to his new height. I also figure if the 'chest' size becomes too tight, I can just cut a slit down the front of the robe, hem it up, and put a clasp on the front. If you want an open-style robe that's all you have to do to change it.

Happy Haunting!

PS- anyone else doing the Harry Potter thing, all you have to do is print off a 'house' crest on card stock, cut it out and pin it to the left breast of the robe. Click HERE for the link

No comments:

Post a Comment